Best practices for anchor text optimization in 2019
Major anchor text categories
Before providing specific tips on anchor text optimization, let’s recap the major categories of anchor text:
- Branded — your brand name with a link placed on it (e.g. Online Media Direct)
- Naked URL — your site’s URL with the link it is pointing to (e.g. https://www.onlinemediadirect.co.uk/)
- Website Name — your site’s URL with the anchor text written as “YourWebsite.com” (e.g. onlinemediadirect.co.uk)
- Page/Blog Post Title — a page’s title anchor text with a link on it (e.g. How to future-proof your SEO for 2018)
- Exact-match Keywords — a targeted keyword with a link on it (e.g. Tips for entrepreneurs)
- Partial-match Keywords — a targeted keyword plus some other text with a link on it (e.g. Beginner tips for entrepreneurs, tips for entrepreneurs guide)
- LSI Keywords — a keyword anchor text that is related to a targeted keyword (e.g. entrepreneurship tips, business tips for entrepreneurs, startup business success stories)
- No Text — an image with a link on it
- Generic (e.g. Click this link, Read more, Check this out)
Distribute anchors in the right proportions
While the “right proportions” part is always up for debate, it is pretty much indisputable that you should:
- Avoid stuffing your anchor text cloud with exact-match and partial-match keywords by all means
- Rely on branded and website name anchor texts (as they are allowed by Google and other search engines)
- Sparsely use Page Title/Blog Post Title anchor texts
So, what are the right proportions?
While the safe answer is, “It depends,” — some recommendations do exist. According to at least a couple of anchor text case studies, the golden formula is:
- 50% — Branded anchor texts
- 15% — WebsiteName.com
- 10-20% — Naked URL
- 10-15% — Page Title/Blog Post Title
- 1-5% — Generic anchor texts
- 1-5% — Exact- and partial match keywords
But, once again, make sure that you do a thorough analysis of your niche and competitors. Your first priority is to reverse-engineer the anchor text cloud of websites ranked at the top, and only then can you start adjusting your website’s anchor text cloud.
For starters, SEO stands for search engine optimization, and it’s the process of improving a website in ways that help it rank in search results when users search for specific words and phrases, contact Surface SEO professionals to increase the boost of your company, business or product.
If you’re not sure why this matters, just think about how you normally find the information you need during your everyday life.
What would you do if you needed to replace your TV and weren’t sure which model to buy?
Where would you look if you were on vacation and needed to find a restaurant for dinner?
How would you go about researching your options for learning a new language?
If you’re like most people, you’d reach for your smartphone or sit down at your computer and type a simple phrase into Google.
You’d search “best 55 inch tv,” “restaurants near me,” or “how to learn Spanish.” Then, you’d scroll through the results and click the one that seemed best suited to your needs.